Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Arrogant, Ignorant Racist People in my English Class

Alright, so most people are racist at least in some way. Think about it, most of us have stereotypes of other people ground into our head or are racist, even the tiniest bit, without thinking about it. But the level that my English class takes it is just not acceptable. Everyday they say the same things. One guy always writes in his bell work about how Muslims who wear turbans and have beards are all terrorists. This just bugs me. If I try and say anything, I get laughed at and made fun of. I know standing up is the right thing to do, but I'm sick of being the odd man out.

I'm not saying that I'm going to shut up about it or that I am just going to let them go on their merry way. No, I'll constantly speak out and I even told one guy today that everytime he says that kind of stuff, it makes me want to slap him. I'm sure I might eventually. Its just highly annoying and offensive. Really, I can't believe the teacher lets them get away with this kind of junk. Its like it doesn't matter. Its really irritating. I'm just at a loss. Yes, there are terrorists out there, but they aren't just turban wearing Muslims. There was a "liberation" group in Ireland that could be considered a terrorist group against the British.

I don't know. Maybe its just me. Maybe this is a kind of thing that only bothers certain people and I'm not sure if you are one of them, hell, how even reads this blog? Probably no one. I don't know. I'm just at a loss for the stupidity and ignorance of the people in my class. I'm just wanting to leave this school. Its not getting any better. They need to wake up and smell the coffee because I'm pretty sure their jokes and teasing may get them beat up some day and I'll be applauding the person who got offended and took a stance. I'm not saying that I condone violence, but I'm not sure what else would get through to these guys. I guess I've decided that on Monday, when my teacher returns, if it happens again. I'm calmly going to get up and just leave the room. I shouldn't have to expose myself to their slanderous lies and I frankly don't want to. I'm paying to go to this school and I believe the school has a job to do. Part of that job is to combat this ignorance and these comments that people make. I've seen quite a few anti-bullying posters around the school, but they've done nothing really.

People really don't get how much their words can effect another person. I guess what I'm saying is, just think before you talk. Well, the bell rang, so I guess its time to go to my next class.

Lessthanthree,

Carissa

No comments:

Post a Comment