Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Let's Talk Books: Finding Alice Edition

I like books, lots of people do. I don't know whether or not you do, but that is your life and this is mine. So, therefore, neither of us need to like the same thing.

Anywho, I'd like to share my thoughts on a book called Finding Alice. It is a spectacular book by the author Melody Carlson. In a nutshell the book is about a girl with schizophrenia and her journey. Now, that doesn't really tell you much about the book, does it?

I admit, I've never had first hand experience with the disease, but from the way she portrays it and the research she has done, I'd say it's decently accurate. The girl, Alice, has delusions and hallucinations. Most everything she encounters relates in one way or another, at least in her mind, to Alice in Wonderland. I can't really remember all the details as I haven't read the book recently, its just my simple thoughts on the subject.

Anyways, I've researched schizophrenia since then and talked to my parents about it. Actually, interestingly enough they almost adopted a girl that had the chance to be schizophrenic before they adopted me, but didn't. I don't remember the reason why, she may have been adopted by someone else. But, that's my little connection to the disease. I really haven't met anyone that has it.

Its a very sad and debilitating disease. They face many hardships from having this disease. I guess all we can do in the end is pray and stay educated about it. Well, I hope you guys decide to check the book out, its a phenomenal one.

Lessthanthree,
Carissa

No comments:

Post a Comment